IV Sedation/Sleep Dentistry
Are you an anxious patient? Contact Rosalie Dental on (07) 3369 5711 and ease your fear of dental treatment!
Many people experience the feeling of anxiety with relation to visiting the dentist, and will often put off making an appointment.
I.V. (intravenous) sedation, sometimes referred to as sleep dentistry, may be a more appropriate alternative for patients who are nervous or apprehensive about dental treatments.
- $550-650 for the first hour
- $400-450 per hour thereafter (calculated at $100 every 15 minutes)
- Based on the volume if medication is used throughout the procedure.
- Usually, an estimate of time is given by the Dentist during the treatment planning phase.
- Procedures rarely exceed 2 hours (it is not usually possible to go longer than 2 hours under sedation)
About IV Sedation
Intravenous sedation provides profound anxiety relief and relaxation during dental procedures. The sedative is given through a vein in the arm or back of the hand. The patient drifts off into a state of drowsiness; time seems to pass very quickly.
A sedated patient has their breathing, heart rate, blood pressure and blood oxygen levels constantly monitored and is always under the care of a second Dentist (separate to the one performing your procedure). After IV sedation, you will need someone to take you home, and you will be groggy for several hours. It is better to allow yourself the rest of the day to recover.
I.V. sedation is useful for patients who:
- Have medium to severe anxiety in anticipation of pain or discomfort (usually the result of a traumatic dental experience in childhood)
- Gag or cannot keep their mouth open for a long period of time
- Had difficulty in the past with local anesthetics ‘not working’ for them, medium to extreme anxiety can sometimes heighten sensitivity.
- Are undergoing surgical procedures, for example, implants or tooth removal
- Are children, people with impairments, disabilities or dementia
- Desire treatment to be completed in comfort and without recall of any procedures
- Would like to complete as much treatment as possible in one appointment
Need dental work but feeling anxious or nervous about the treatment? At Rosalie Dental we have a variety of comforting tools to reduce your anxiety, including:
- The Wand
- I.V. Sedation
Free Orthodontic Consultation
Interested in orthodontic treatment but don't want to pay the costs for an appointment if you end up not being suitable? At Rosalie Dental we offer a FREE Orthodontic Consultation so if the treatment isn't for you, you are not left out of pocket!