Child Dental Benefits Schedule
The Child Dental Benefits Schedule (or CDBS) is a $2.7 billion government initiative that aims to provide children with basic dental care. Officially commencing on January 1, 2014, the measure has afforded over 3 million children (aged 2-17 years old) with dental care, capped at $1,000 per child every two calendar years.
At Rosalie Dental, we bulk bill for the CDBS, which means you will not need to submit a claim.
What sort of treatments are covered by the initiative?
The program is intended to include basic dental treatment, which typically means services like:
- Professional teeth cleaning
- Tooth extractions
- Fissure seals
- Root canals
Treatments like orthodontics will not be included. Basic dental services are capped at $1000 every two years, but first you will need to determine whether you are eligible.
Who is eligible for the CDBS?
Although eligibility is established each calendar year, the funds remain available for two calendar years. In 2014, the Australian Government contacted children and families who fit the requirements of the CDBS.
Eligibility is determined by a means test, and we recommend contacting Medicare if you are unsure about whether your children are eligible. However, below are some guidelines:
(1) Age: To be eligible, children must be between 2 and 17 years old. They must be in this age range for at least one day of the calendar year. In other words, if your child is only just turning 2, he or she is still eligible for that entire year. Conversely, if your child turns 18, they are still eligible for the rest of the calendar year.
(2) Tax and payments: Children must also be eligible for Medicare, or must be a member of a family that is receiving Family Tax Benefit Part A, or:
- Youth Allowance
- Parenting Payment
- Special Benefit
- Carer Payment
- Disability Support Pension
- Double Orphan Pension
- Veteran’s Children Education Scheme (provided the child is 16 or older)
- Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act Education and Training Scheme (provided the child is at least 16)
If you think you or your child might be eligible under the CDBS, it will be important to make sure that your information is up to date. You can update your Medicare personal details by phoning 132 011. For issues related to Family Tax benefit A, you can call Centrelink on 136 150.
What happens if we do not use the entire $1000 in the first year?
Because your child will be eligible for a full two calendar years, the remainder of the $1000 cap will be carried over into the second year.
Note that only individual children are eligible for the CDBS – siblings or family members who do not meet the criteria established by the Australian will not automatically be entitled to the same program benefits.
Want to know more?
Free Orthodontic Consultation
Interested in orthodontic treatment but don't want to pay the costs for an appointment if you end up not being suitable? At Rosalie Dental we offer a FREE Orthodontic Consultation so if the treatment isn't for you, you are not left out of pocket!
Need dental work but feeling anxious or nervous about the treatment? At Rosalie Dental we have a variety of comforting tools to reduce your anxiety, including:
- The Wand
- I.V. Sedation